First Aid Supplies - To Buy or Bring My Own?You have the choice to buy your own supplies or bring your own. See First Aid Kits for more details.
If I bring my own training supplies what do I need to bring?To fully participate in a Slipstream program you will need to either bring your own training supplies or purchase a training kit from Slipstream during the registration process.
The following are the Mandatory Supplies;
- Triangular bandages
We recommend 2 large 60x40in (150x100cm) cloth bandages
You can even make your own out of an old sheet; take a 40x40on (100cm) square and cut it diagonally
- Roller bandages (aka tensor or ace)
- Abdominal pad and/or gauze (bring small and large sizes)
- Tape 1in athletic tape (aka as cloth hospital tape)
- Gloves; We recommend nitrile gloves (4-8 pairs or more)
The following training supplies, while not mandatory, will make your life way easier. If you are taking the Advanced Wilderness First Aid, the supplies will make your life even easier.
- OPA (Oropharyngeal Airway); They usually come in sets of 6 or 8 with a range of sizes but most adult males take a "red" (90mm) and most adult females take a "yellow" (80mm)
- Scissors; Paramedical or EMS scissors are best but any kind will do
- Pressure Dressing; A "3 in 1" (ties, absorbent and sterile) works great for severe bleeding
-Thermometer - please bring a dozen or more Alcohol disinfectant wipes for cleaning between uses
- Cotton tipped applicators (aka Q-tips)
- 3M steri-strips 3mm (purple) size, 1-2 each
- Opsite or 3M Tegaderm (6cm x 7cm) or larger, 1-2 each
How do I prepare my first aid supplies ?See the below video on how we recommend you weatherproof your first aid kit.
Unable to complete a courseIf you do not complete/pass your program in the allotted time you may attend as many training days as you require for as long as your training warranty remains in effect, at no extra fee*.
*You will be required to sign a wavier and release form and follow the pre-course preparation guide as any regular participant. Some restrictions apply, based on availability, subject to regular booking conditions.
If you require new handouts and use of classroom supplies there is a charge which must be paid before course commencement. Please see registration page for details.
Classroom supplies include:- Group practise First AId Supplies are included, Personal first aid supplies are purchased or you can bring your own (see above for more details)
Complimentary Wilderness First Aid training agencies:
- Wilderness Medical Consultants
- Wilderness Medical Associates
- Saint John's Ambulance
- Canadian Red Cross
- Outward Bound
- Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine
- Rescue Dynamics
- Any major Wilderness First Aid training provider